Saturday, July 11, 2009

i HATE cancer ...update on my Dad

I think I need to start a blog, but don't know the first thing about it...just this helps to put things down on "paper"..really laptop.


so here goes...

I could not do much yesterday except try to keep a smile on my face and run out to the other floor lobby to get coffee. I had my share of meltdowns & tears. I am better today.
I don't know if I have told anyone other than the people I work with at the church and good friends in Boston because I could not get the words out with each phone call. In fact I asked my good friend and manager to call the rest of the staff for me.

The preliminary biopsy results from this hospital pathologist are "suspicious for mesothelioma". They have been sent to the Mayo clinic for the second and final diagnosis, but the surgeon is pretty definite that it is a formality, and the diagram that he drew for my brother looked a lot like the diagram on the internet site that i visited. i'm a nurse, but not oncology RN, so I have to read up when faced with something new, and I decided to be cautious and go to the patient family education sheet rather than the journal articles.
My Dad worked for a local shipbuilder after the war as most returning GI's to NOLA did. hired every GI that applied to make sure these guys had jobs and could support their families. My Dad is a master carpenter and cabinet maker, so he was a ship's carpenter for them and a cold storage that built refrigerated cargo holds. Insulation used at that time was asbestos, and of course they all breathed it in when it was swirling around the room, blown by fans to keep them cooler in the hot summer. Then all of the ceiling tiles removed when he worked on remodeling school cafeterias in the 50's and 60's.
I said on my facebook: I HATE Cancer!


I don't know if he has grasped this bu i am not going to go there until we know for sure and treat it like a child asking about the birds and the bees, only what he wants and needs to know. I don't want to see him just be sick with treatment if it won't eradicate the cancer or make his life better. His surgeon agrees with this as does the oncologist team on the case. Their aim is to manage his symptoms, make him feel as good as he can so he can live his life as comfortably and as active as he can be.

He might get the chest tube out on Monday, he is better today after the blood transfusion last night, is sitting up in the chair, dozing mostly, but that's okay.
thank you for all the prayers. :-)

I'll update as able
__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment